We design and carry out original studies concerning the food and environmental industries with the ultimate goal of providing integrated and targeted solutions to them. Main objectives of our studies include:
- Food production and waste treatment processes
- Recovery of valuable compounds
- Functional foods production
- Re-use of brackish water
- Alcoholic fermentations using modern biotechnological methods, etc.
Through the Food Waste Recovery Group, we support the editing of scientific books in the field of food science, technology and innovation, nutrition, and the environment.
Articles in International Scientific Journals (over the last 3 years)
- Galanakis, C.M. (2020). The Food Systems in the Era of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Crisis. Foods, 9, 523.
- Sarfarazi, M., Jafari, S.M., Rajabzadeh, G., & Galanakis, C.M. (2020). Evaluation of microwave-assisted extraction technology for separation of bioactive components of saffron (Crocus sativus L.). Industrial Crops and Products, 145, 111978.
- Nagarajan, J., Prasad, N.K., Ramakrishnan, N.R., Raghunandan, M.E., Galanakis, C.M., Wei, O.C. (2019). A facile water-induced complexation of lycopene and pectin from pink guava byproduct: Extraction, characterization and kinetic studies. Food Chemistry, 296, 47-55.
- Ucak, I., Gokoglu, N., Kiessling, M., Toepfl, S., & Galanakis, C.M. (2019). Inhibitory effects of high pressure treatment on microbial growth and biogenic amine formation in marinated herring (Clupea harengus) inoculated with Morganella psychrotolerans. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 99, 50–56.
- Ucak, I., Gokoglu, N., Toepfl, S., & Galanakis, C.M. (2018). Inhibitory effects of high pressure processing on Photobacterium phosphoreum and Morganella psychrotolerans in vacuum packed herring (Clupea harengus). Journal of Food Safety, 38, 6, e12519.
- Kovacevic, D.B., Barba, F.J., Granato, D., Galanakis, C.M., Herceg, Z., Dragovic-Uzelac, V., & Prutnik, P. (2018). Pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) for the green recovery of bioactive compounds from steviol glycosides from Stevis rebaudiana Bertoni Leaves. Food Chemistry, 254, 150-157.
- Galanakis, C.M., Tsatalas, P., Charalambous, Z., & Galanakis, I.M. (2018). Control of microbial growth in bakery products fortified with polyphenols recovered from olive mill wastewater. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 10, 1-15.
- Galanakis, C.M., Tsatalas, P., & Galanakis, I.M. (2018). Implementation of phenols recovered from olive mill wastewater as UV booster in cosmetics. Industrial Crops & Products, 111, 30-37.
- Galanakis, C.M., Tsatalas, P., & Galanakis, I.M. (2018). Phenols from olive mill wastewater and other natural antioxidants as UV filters in sunscreens. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 9, 160-168.
- Galanakis, C.M., Tsatalas, P., Charalambous, Z., & Galanakis, I.M. (2018). Polyphenols recovered from olive mill wastewater as natural preservatives in extra virgin olive oils and refined olive kernel oils. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 10, 62-70.
- Heng, W.W., Yang., B., Prasad, K.N., Ramanan, R.N., Galanakis, C.M., Sun, J., Ismail, A., & Ti, T.B. (2016). Extraction of phytochemicals using hydrotropic solvents. Separation Science & Technology, 51, 1151-1165.